The Mirasol Pathogen Reduction Technology (PRT) System renders a broad range of disease-causing viruses, bacteria and parasites less pathogenic, and inactivates residual white blood cells found in blood components.
Built for efficiency and ease of use, the novel Mirasol PRT system helps improve the safety of the blood supply by reducing the infectious levels of disease-causing agents in platelets and plasma while still maintaining quality blood components.
The Mirasol PRT system is:
- An innovative, proactive approach to addressing existing and emerging safety issues
- The only device that uses riboflavin (vitamin B2), a naturally occurring, non-toxic compound, combined with ultraviolet light, to provide effective pathogen reduction and white cell inactivation
- A single platform capable of treating platelets and plasma using the same compound and light delivery system
- Versatile technology that is easy to learn and use
The Mirasol PRT system delivers:
- An extra measure of safety in the face of emerging infectious diseases
- Reduced risk from screened and unscreened pathogens and white blood cells
- An effective alternative to bacterial screening of platelets, with no delay in product release
- Flexibility and ease of use for optimal operational efficiency
- Accurate reporting and traceability through fully integrated data capture
The Mirasol PRT system consists of three main components:
- A disposable kit — includes an illumination/storage bag and sterile riboflavin solution
- The Mirasol Illuminator — provides UV light and agitation for the Mirasol PRT process
- Mirasol® Manager software — integrates and manages data reporting and storage
Mode of action:
Nucleic acids, found in the RNA and DNA of pathogens, contain the instructions for replication. The Mirasol PRT system causes irreversible changes to the RNA and DNA of viruses, bacteria, parasites and white blood cells, preventing them from replicating and causing disease.
Treating platelets and plasma in three simple steps:
1. The product is transferred to the Mirasol PRT illumination/storage bag
2. Riboflavin solution is added and mixed with the product
3. The mixture is then exposed to UV light for about five to ten minutes